You may use English-language Internet sources to help you.
a Brainstorm with a classmate to make a list of 5 or more words related to the future.
|What’s the Buzz?|
CBC Kids News took a look at some stories that you will hear more of in 2023.
Read the text. Find (and mark) the following words in the text:
to make a buzz – (to) predict – AI – all the rage – ethical considerations – civilian – (to) hunker down – a hallmark – to budge – a decline – the box office – reign – fate – slated for – anticipation
Read the following definitions. Match the above words and expressions with their correct definitions.
- artificial intelligence
- careful thoughts about moral aspects and implications
- to change or to move a bit
- a dip, a drop, a decrease
- to draw attention
- feeling of excitement about something that is going to happen
- the future that someone or something will have
- people that are not military
- the period of time during which a king, queen, etc., is ruler of a country
- the place where the tickets are sold at a theatre, cinema or concert hall
- planned to happen at a particular time
- a quality or aspect that is really typical of a person of a group of people
- to say that (something) will or might happen in the future
- to stay in a place for some time
- suddenly very popular
a What are concerns regarding AI apps?
1 Chatbots could rewrite history.
2 People could lose their jobs.
3 Selfies could go out of fashion.
4 Works of art could become worthless.
b What is inflation?
1 A general increase in prices over a period of time.
2 A light at the end of the tunnel when prices begin to fall.
3 A period of time when people stop buying and selling things.
4 A time when the unemployment rate in a country rises.
c Which story possibly will dominate the news in the United Kingdom this year?
1 The 70-year reign of Queen Elizabeth.
2 The collected speeches of King Charles.
3 The coronation of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.
4 The future of the monarchy under King Charles.
WK 02 2022-2023 Lezen B2 – What’s the Buzz
Om de antwoorden te kunnen zien, moet je zijn ingelogd. Heb je nog geen account? Meld je dan nu aan! Het is GRATIS.