- Lifeguards are the people who work at a beach or swimming pool. They rescue people when they are in danger of drowning (verdrinken).
- Looks can be deceiving means that something can be very different from how it seems or appears to be.
- If you float on water, you are on the surface (oppervlakte) of the water. Not completely in water.
- A starfish is a flat, star-shaped creature with five arms that lives in the sea.
- When you are in the sea with your ears immersed, your ears are completely in water.
1. Jake’s first tip for safe swimming is: Before you get in the water acclimatise.
What does to “acclimatise” mean?
a You check for rip currents to discover the best spot for swimming.
b You decide not to go swimming when the water is splashing cold.
c You let your body get used to the temperature of the sea water.
d You tell your friend or a parent that you are planning to take a swim.
2. What other tips does Jake give to stay safe? Choose all correct answers.
a Bring your phone.
b Don’t panic.
c Go to a life-guarded beach.
d Never go swimming alone.
e Only go swimming when the water is really calm.
f Swim in between the red and yellow flags.
g When in trouble, float on your back and start to shout for help.
3. Remember: float to live if you find yourself in trouble in the water.
How exactly do you “float to live”? Put the steps in the correct order.
a Lie on your back.
b Shout for help.
c Start waving for help.
d Stick one hand in the air.
e Take a starfish position.
Om de antwoorden te kunnen zien, moet je zijn ingelogd. Heb je nog geen account? Meld je dan nu aan! Het is GRATIS.