Spring is a time when we can see nature’s amazing powers with our own eyes.
Just check out these recent sights in California.
Read the following words and phrases and their definitions.
- drought – a long period of time during which there is very little or no rain
- to celebrate – to do something special or enjoyable for an important event
- consumed by drought – destroyed by a long period of no rain
- to prove – to show that something is true
- awash with wildflowers – covered with many, many flowers
- poppies – plants with bright red or orange flowers
- to appreciate – to understand the worth or importance of something
- pathetic – very bad, almost stupid
- vast desert – large area of very dry land
- scorching – very hot
First read the assignment. Next watch the video. Take notes to help you do the assignment.
1. What is a “super bloom”? Also explain what makes it happen.
2. What does this super bloom prove according to park ranger Dennis Stephen?
3. Some people like to get very close to the flowers. Is this okay? Explain your answer.
4. Is this year’s super bloom in California popular?
5. How long does the super bloom last?