Last week, Venice saw an incident with a cruise ship.
Read the following words and phrases and their definitions.
- a Hollywood production – a typical Hollywood film
- residents – people who live in a particular place
- storey – a floor level of a building
- quayside – the edge of a quay (kade), near the water
- oblivious to the potential danger – not aware of the possible danger
- dockside – the area along a shore next to a dock (dok)
- tugboat- a small, powerful boat that is used for pulling and pushing ships into harbors or up rivers
- turning point – the time when a situation starts changing in an important way
First read the assignment. Next watch the video. Take notes to help you do the assignment.
1. What exactly happened with the cruise ship?
Tell in your own words. Or write a short report about the incident.
2. How many passengers were there aboard the cruise ship?
3. Did all the people on land immediately realize what was happening?
4. Were any buildings in Venice damaged during the incident?
5. Name two or more reasons why people in Venice are protesting against cruise ships.
Extra speaking assignment
Is a ban on cruise ships in cities like Venice a good idea?
1. Split the class in two.
2. One side thinks of arguments for a ban, the other against a ban.
3. Have a class discussion.