Quarantine: It is a word that you hear a lot in the news these days. But what is quarantine?
- abandoned – left by the owner(s) or inhabitant(s); left behind
- the spread – the development or growth of something so that it covers a larger area or affects a larger number of people
- disease – illness; a condition that prevents the body or mind from working normally
- bubonic plague – builenpest (een besmettelijke ziekte)
- quaranta giorni – Italian for: forty days
- controversial – causing much discussion or disagreement
- yellow fever – gele koorts (een besmettelijke ziekte)
- smallpox – pokken (een zeer besmettelijke virusziekte)
- Spanish flu – Spaanse griep (een zeer besmettelijke griep die in 1918-1919 heerste)
- potentially – possibly; capable of becoming real
- rare – not common, very unusual
- a cure – something that makes someone who is sick healthy again
- to reunite – to bring (people or things) together again especially after they have been apart for a long time
- Fill in the missing numbers:
Wuhan in China is a city with a population of …………………………
All passengers on arriving ships had to wait on-board for ……. days
- What is quarantine?
- Where does the word “quarantine” come from?
- “It’s really rare to hear about people being quarantined.” So why are people being quarantined now?
- Have any Australians been quarantined because of the coronavirus?