Mount Everest has been in the news a lot recently.
Read the following words and phrases and their definitions.
- to hit headlines – to appear as a big news story
- fierce – very powerful
- lack – the state or condition of not having any or enough of something
- oxygen – zuurstof
- a record number of people – the highest number of people ever
- summit – the top of a mountain
- crowded – filled with too many people or things
- delays – situations in which you have to wait longer than normally or expected
- experience – skill or knowledge that you get by doing something
- requirements – things that are needed or necessary
First read the assignment. Next watch the video. Take notes to help you do the assignment.
1. Why is Mount Everest in the news?
2. Is Mount Everest the tallest mountain in the world?
3. Name three things that make climbing Mount Everest dangerous.
4. Why is it getting crowded on Mount Everest?
5. What could be done to make climbing Mount Everest safer?