Bananas are a popular fruit. But something is rotten in the republic of bananas.
- fungus – schimmel
- variety – a different type of something
- to become a thing of the past – to become something that no longer exists
- soil – the top layer of earth in which plants grow
- to wipe out – to kill or destroy something completely
- factory-produced materials – stuff that is made in a factory
- disease-free – without any illness or infection
- to insulate – to cover and surround something with a material to stop heat, sound, or electricity from going into or out of it
- rockwool – special material used for insulation (steenwol)
- crop – a plant that is grown by farmers
- rapid spread – very fast growth or increase of something
- contaminated – dangerously dirty
- What is killing the bananas?
- In which parts of the world have some bananas already been wiped out?
- Why could it be a good idea to take the soil away?
- Is growing bananas on rockwool already done on real plantations?
- Name three benefits of using rockwool.
Extra Words Questions
What does it mean?
- “It’s bananas!”
- “Banana republic”