The world is hotting up. That’s not a good thing.
- to be on track – to develop as expected; to go in an expected direction
- droughts – long periods of time during which there is very little or no rain
- the second warmest year – the year in second place on the list of warmest years
- human-caused greenhouse gas emissions – all the greenhouse gas that comes into the air because we humans use so much electricity, drive cars, fly in planes, etc.
- broken – damaged
- to strike back – to try to hurt someone who has hurt you or treated you badly
- heat wave – a period of unusually high temperatures
- “2020 is on track to be the second hottest year on record.” Which year is the hottest year on record?
- How is nature reacting to the hotting-up planet? Name three or more examples.
- Finish Guterres’ sentence: “To put it simply, the state ….”
- Name two or more places where big wildfires have occurred this year.
- How many percent of all the world’s oceans experienced heatwaves this year?