Read the assignment and write down the answers in English. You may use English-language Internet sources to help you.
a Ireland is a country name. Irish is its proper adjective.
Write down the proper adjective for each of the following country names:
Afghanistan, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Denmark, France, Lebanon, Morocco, Netherlands, Russia, Syria, Vietnam
b Write down what the “Cold War” was and when it took place. Look up any information you do not know.
Two surfers recently discovered a strange metal tube on a beach in Ireland.
Read about it here.
Read the text. For each definition, find the word or expression it describes in the text and write it down.
- a hollow object shaped like a pipe
- a ship designed to clear a passage through ice
- not likely to happen
- a container filled with things from the present time and meant to be opened by people at some time in the future
- the group of people who operate a ship
- people travelling to places where no one has ever been in order to find out what is there
- a little bit less ice-cold
- an action that is done to protect against possible danger or trouble
- a small thing that is put in the opening of a bottle to close it
- a group of objects brought together in one place
- the activity of searching for information about something
- to change from ice or snow into water
- a situation when people have become friends though you wouldn’t have expected it
- rules that limit or control situations
- to change words from one language into another language
a Where did the capsule start its journey?
1 At County Donegal.
2 At the North Pole.
3 In the Russian Sea.
4 Near Saint Petersburg.
b When was the found capsule left behind?
1 At the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic.
2 Fifty years ago.
3 In 2018.
4 Thirty years ago.
c Why was Sveta shocked when she heard the capsule had been found?
1 Her letter in the caspule contains some embarrassing private stuff.
2 Inside the capsule are all the ingredients for a secret Cold War project.
3 It shows that the Arctic ice is melting very fast.
4 No one was supposed to find the capsule ever.