Things you need to know:
- The United Nations Headquarters building is in New York. It is where the world leaders meet to discuss world problems. They meet in the General Assembly Hall. The other day, they had a surprise visitor.
- An important climate change conference of the United Nations is being held in Glasgow, Scotland. World leaders and other important people come together to agree on solutions for climate problems.
- Frankie is the name of the speaker in the video.
- extinction – a situation in which something no longer exists
- If something is obvious, it is easy to see or understand.
- to go extinct – to end up in a situation in which something is no longer existing
- ridiculous – very very silly and foolish, laughing-out-loud silly
- climate disaster – a very bad situation for all life on earth caused by climate change
- public funds – money the government has (through taxes) that is used to help people in general
- to live in poverty – to live in very poor circumstances, without enough food, money, etc.
- the demise of a species – the death of a group of animals or plants or any living beings
- How does Frankie feel about extinction? What exactly does he say?
- “Every year governments spend hundreds of billions of public funds on fossil fuel subsidies.”
Does Frankie think this is good?
- What is Frankie’s wild idea?
Who’s Frankie to tell us what to do?