We’ve got a full moon coming up this Thursday.
- correlation – the relationship between things that happen
- to howl – to make a long, loud cry that sounds sad
- the phasing of the moon – the changing shape of the moon during a month
- dawn – the time of day when the first sunlight begins to appear
- dusk – the time when day changes into night and sunlight is disappearing
- muzzle – the nose and mouth of an animal
- for dramatic effect – done in a way to make it sound or look more exciting, special, important, etc.
- to forage – to search for food
- in chorus – all together; all at the same time
- Is there really a relation between howling wolves and the full moon?
- “Wolves are nocturnal or crepuscular.” What does this say about wolves?
- True or False?
a Howling wolves point their muzzle to the moon for dramatic effect.
b Wolves always point their muzzle to the sky when they howl.
c The howl of a wolf can be heard up to four miles away.
d Wolves are real loners, they always travel alone.
e Wolves also howl to warn off other wolf packs.
f Wolves’ howls all sound the same.
g Wolves howl for different reasons.